Many engaged couples may be inclined to plan their big day with caution right now. So many lovestruck couples have had to contend with the restrictions placed on weddings over the past year, and most have had the same (if not more) trouble with honeymoons.
2020 saw so many plans dashed, leaving couples disappointed, so if you’re now planning eagerly for 2021, you’re not alone. In fact, according to Expedia, 57% of travelers plan to book trips within the first 6 months of 2021. So, if you’re planning a honeymoon or romantic getaway this year, what can you expect? LOVU, a book direct romance travel startup is here to help you make the most of traveling in 2021, so read on to learn more!
2021 Honeymoon and Romantic Getaway Trends
In pre-pandemic life, Paris was among one of the most popular hotspots for newlyweds. Venice has always been a popular romantic destination as a cultural, culinary, and scenic feast. Bali, Thailand, and the Maldives were also popular honeymoon locations with favorable travel policies.
But with restrictions differing significantly in each country, how can you plan successfully? Here are some of the trends we’ll likely see emerge in 2021:
- Couples will favor destinations where the government has rolled out vaccinations, and life is cautiously returning to normal. While we all long for the freedom we had in 2019, most of us won’t head to locations that are doing little to control the spread of the virus. Instead, couples will consider countries that have successfully controlled the spread or vaccinated.
- Drivable destinations are currently preferable over long-distance travel. Air travel has been a concern for everyone this last year, so to minimize too many physical interactions with strangers, many couples will opt to drive to their location instead. This trend has incentivized travel agencies to emphasize weekend-long adventure, culinary and historical trips.
- Rental properties are more popular than hotels right now. While couples may feel secure in luxury resorts that strictly follow health and safety protocols, they’re often double the price of an Airbnb. Couples are now renting Airbnb properties and small villas as they’re far cheaper and often provide the opportunity to live like a local.
- Couples will look to save money – the economic effects of the pandemic affected both the consumers and hospitality businesses. That means that while hotels need to bolster their profits, couples will be looking for cost-effective solutions for their romantic getaways. Online travel sites take a major chunk of hotel revenues, upwards of 30% per booking. LOVU ensures hotels maximize their profit while giving guests a reduced cost, too, and a 1:1 relationship with the hotel. Apps like our own LOVU will become the go-to for both sides of the equation.
What will honeymoons and romantic trips look like in 2021?
It’s unlikely that much will change in the realm of international travel rules within the first half of 2021, and many couples are aware of this already. The pandemic has placed everyone in the world under unique constraints, and group vacations have become far less popular for obvious reasons. This does mean that couples are more likely to jet off together, which is good news for some!
Instead of jetting off to a remote country of their choice, couples are opting for ‘minimoons,’ which is a short-term local holiday, or ‘latermoons,’ where couples postpone their vacation to a lower-risk time. Looking ahead, vaccine passports may be required for entry into certain countries. Newlyweds should also look for travel companies that offer COVID-19 insurance to keep themselves as safe as possible.
The vacations themselves are likely to be low-key, relaxing affairs, where couples enjoy outdoor experiences, hiking, and alfresco meals. For couples who do choose to head to a city, booking ahead for experiences and entertainment will be a must, and choosing to home-cook meals in the evenings at the Airbnb may be a romantic way to relax after a long day of sightseeing.
How can I navigate restrictions for my honeymoon?
We’re living in uncertain times, but your honeymoon is a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and you shouldn’t have to compromise. You can still have your dream honeymoon without putting yourself at risk. Consider:
- Get vaccinated before you travel, if possible
- Consider domestic, drivable locations
- If you want to go abroad, plan for a quarantine period when you return
- Do your research and choose locations and countries you’ll feel safe in, such as those that have vaccinated a high percentage of visitors
- Don’t forget your PPE – the last thing you want is to get sick in another country or away from home, and just a little thought can help keep you safe
- Plan for activities and locations that have a low population density or are outdoors
- Use couples-friendly apps and hotels to help you streamline your planning, such as LOVU
Planning a honeymoon abroad may seem like an overwhelming task given the current restrictions, but this doesn’t mean you shouldn’t celebrate at all. If you have your heart set on that dream getaway, why not do a minimoon now and go on your “real” honeymoon when the restrictions lift? There are plenty of options when it comes to choosing a romantic getaway, and with a little extra planning, you can certainly plan a memorable vacation or honeymoon.
How do I find the best resources for romantic travel?
If you’re looking for ways to stay safe while still enjoying that dream romantic getaway, LOVU is the expert. If you’ve started researching for your honeymoon or planned any type of couple’s travel, you’ll know how difficult it is to simply find the best places to stay and things to do for couples.
LOVU gamifies user experience while eliminating the countless hours couples spend researching and booking romantic hotspots. It aims to help couples quickly find the best places to spend and celebrate life milestone moments.
LOVU doesn’t just benefit consumers; it’s also a fantastic tool for hotels. It will reduce the booking cost while giving hotels a 1:1 relationship with high-value, relaxed guests.
I plan to launch LOVU soon, and to ensure a successful go-to-market launch, I’m raising capital via a crowdfunding campaign to put LOVU on your mobile device by Fall 2021. This campaign invites couples and honeymooners to invest and kickstart the app. Couples will have access to personalized advice, hotel upgrades, and complimentary rooms at prestigious hotels and resorts.
The B2C crowdfunding campaign is aimed at hotels, resorts, villas, casinos, and destination travel experts that cater to or would like to increase their romance travel market share. We’re inviting those who wish to invest in couples travel, honeymoons, proposals, and weddings, to invest in LOVU. I want to invite these businesses to take advantage of many founding partner benefits, including listing upgrades and an invitation to one of LOVU’s mini romance travel mastermind virtual classes with the Leading International Expert on the Business of Weddings & Events, Alan Berg ($500 value), where we will walk through the sales cycle and provide travel tips on converting inquiries to booking.
For more information please visit our pre-launch crowdfunding campaign, visit LOVUTRAVEL.COM.
About the Author Shri Lildharrie is the founder of LOVU and a SaaS business development and hospitality technology specialist. He is also a multi-media pro, and entrepreneur with over 20 years’ digital, travel, marketing, and wedding industry experience. He headed the travel vertical for the world’s leading online wedding resource, TheKnot.com, so knows just about everything there is to know about romantic travel adventures and getaways!